Thursday 23 July 2015

Woodhall Spa 40's festival 2015

Just a quick post from me today. Last year I wandered down to the 40's festival, in my home town of Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire. I had a great time photographing the many characters and activities that could be seen throughout the weekend. I did a couple of blog posts on my time at the festival, which you can view here. Hopefully, they will give you a flavour of this fabulous event.

http://brettgardnerphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/woodhall-spa-40s-festival.html
http://brettgardnerphotography.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/canon-av-1.html

You may also be interested in the official website for the festival, which can be found by clicking the link below.

http://woodhall-spa-40s-festival.com/

This time I went down with the intention of just soaking up the atmosphere, and not really bothering with taking many photographs. However, as always, I did keep a camera by my side, 'just in case', and I'm rather pleased that I did, as I took two images that I quite like.

The first is of a typical woodland scene from the event, where many re-enactors camp out in the woods for the weekend, dressed in full military costume. I love stumbling across such scenes like this, and try and take candid images where possible. The Fuji X-T1 is excellent in such situations, as you can adjust the exposure 'to taste', using the incredible EVF. The camera was coupled with my Fujinon 35mm F1.4, a cracking, sharp lens. 

Home guard, Fuji X-T1 with Fujinon 35mm F1.4
Home Guard

The second image was taken on Sunday, when we were treated to a magnificent display from three of the BBMF's  fighter aircraft. Two Hurricanes and one Spitfire entertained the large crowd, which had been completely brought to a halt by the plane's low level antics. I had my trusty, old, Nikon D200 coupled with my Nikkor 70-200mm F2.8, and managed to fire off a couple of images as one of the Hurricanes banked in for another low pass. I would have preferred slightly more prop blur, but for a grab shot, I'm pretty pleased. I particularly love the way the light catches the Hurricane's right side. As I moved the camera up to my eye, I dialed in +1 stop of exposure compensation, otherwise the image would have been horribly underexposed, and the plane silhouetted. 

Hawker Hurricane, from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight
Hawker Hurricane PZ865 (MK IIc), 'The Last of the Many', from the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

The two day festival is a great day out for all the family, with much to see and do. Why not pop along next July, (dates to be confirmed) I'm sure it will be another fabulous event.


No comments:

Post a Comment