Tuesday 17 March 2015

A bit of street with the Fuji X100

I've been very busy with gallery bits and bobs the last few weeks, and It's been tough to set aside much time for photography. I managed to get to Scarborough in late January, and capture two landscape images I was pleased with, but no street photography as such. I'm running a couple of films through my Nikon FM3a, (at long last) where I've been focusing on street candids, but the only other street photos I've taken recently were with the Fuji X100.

I have an original X100, and while I hear the S and T models are vastly superior in many ways, I get on just fine with the original. It doesn't use an X trans sensor like the later versions, but I have to say, I find that a good thing. I also own an X-T1, which does use an X trans sensor, and while I find the camera and sensor incredible, images processed in Photoshop can sometimes leave a lot to be desired. They can exhibit a painterly effect, particularly when capturing fine foliage or grass detail, something I do quite often with landscape scenes. I've had to resort to using other software, and for me Photoninja does a far better job with processing X trans files. It's just a shame that I now have to use two different software packages, depending on which camera's images I'm processing at the time.

Looking at the images straight out the camera from the X100, the detail is just terrific, with punchy colours and good contrast. No having to faff about with other software packages, just good honest files, from a more than usable 12 mega pixel sensor. I love this camera, and although to many, it's a bit long in the tooth, once we get to the fifth, sixth, seventh iteration of the X100 (or X200 as it may become), which one's likely to be the most collectable. My money's on the original, I think it's a classic, and quite possibly one of the most important digital cameras ever designed.

A bit of gossip, Fuji X100
A bit of gossip

Strolling along the sea front, Fuji X100
Strolling along the sea front

Baby overboard! No baby was harmed in the making of this picture, Fuji X100
Baby overboard! No baby was harmed in the making of this picture

Beach view, Fuji X100
Beach view


No comments:

Post a Comment