Wednesday 30 July 2014

Fuji TCL-X100 Tele converter

I recently purchased a TCL-X100 Tele converter for my Fuji X100, and have finally managed to get out and about to snap a few shots with it.

Fuji X100 with the TCL-X100 Tele Converter

The converter changes the effective focal length of the standard X100/X100s  from 35mm to a slightly longer 50mm. It doesn't sound like much, but in practice, makes quite a bit of difference to what you actually view through the Electronic View Finder. ( E.V.F.) You will find that because the lens is that much bigger with the converter attached, the Optical View Finder is nearly rendered obsolete. The new lens sticks out, blocking the lower right part of the finder, making it more difficult to compose the shot. That said, It feels right on the camera, and I think it balances nicely, finishing the camera off well.

Bags of colour

Shooting with the lens attached is a joy. I mentioned that it fits well to the X100, but also performance hasn't really been affected. I have only noticed slightly softer images wide open at F2.0, but by stopping the lens down to F2.8 and beyond, it really starts to deliver contrasty, sharp images with bags of colour. The Fuji X100's captured files always had a certain look, almost filmic in quality, and this has been retained, dare I say improved. The focusing speed again, hasn't really been affected. Only in really low light, did I find it wanting at times.

Are these all the chips I'm getting?

The Albatros is packed as dusk descends

The build quality is superb, just as well made as the camera itself. I have a feeling this lens converter may stay permanently attached to the camera from now on.

Feet

Bunting against a blue sky

Beyond East Quay at Wells-Next-The-Sea

No comments:

Post a Comment