Saturday 19 July 2014

A Mid Winter's wedding


Wedding, this way
Wedding, this way

I have photographed weddings during the dark months of Autumn and Winter before, but never on the shortest day, the 21st December. The ceremony was scheduled for 2p.m. which didn't give me much time for bride and groom photography afterwards. It was a case of working fast with what natural light I had left to work with. This was most definitely a prime example to the benefits of scouting a location before the big day. The wedding was taking place in a manor house not far from Grantham, a beautiful building with several  impressive suits of armour dotted throughout it's many gorgeous, old rooms. It was a lovely intimate wedding and the bride, Louise, looked gorgeous in her simple, elegant dress. I had to get a shot of her on the stairs once she was ready, as it looked like it would make for an amazing shot. The tricky light and large Christmas tree on the landing made it a slightly more difficult photograph than I had at first envisaged, but I managed to capture the image that I had in mind, so I was happy.

Bride on the stairs
Bride on the stairs

Final preparations
Final preparations

The lovely flower girl

Flower girl
Flower girl

Louise, waiting for the groom, Phillip to arrive.

Waiting
Waiting

Phillip and his best man arrived in a lovely old VW camper van and they looked great, some lovely colour detail on display in their suits. 

Arrival
Arrival

Groom and best man
Groom and best man

Married
Married

The happy couple
The happy couple

Shooting a wedding in just the one venue, can certainly have its benefits. There's not so much rushing about, and everyone, including me, seems just that little bit more relaxed. I really love the photograph of the newly married couple outside the front of the house. It looks so relaxed, and Phillip's expression is lovely. The light to the left of the image injects some lovely warmth on to what was a cold mid Winter's day. I love the little wedding sign too.


Speeches
Speeches

Father and son
Father and son

There was a lot of dancing and general merriment in the evening, and it's a great time to look for funny moments. Everyone is relaxed, the drink is flowing, and guests are busting a move or two on the dancefloor. I'm not sure what was being discussed by the couple in the image below, and just maybe, I wouldn't want to know, but they were certainly having fun.

You dancin'
You dancin'

Give us a kiss
Give us a kiss



No comments:

Post a Comment